Album Release

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Seizing the Day

Carpe Diem. Seize the day.

This is a good rule to live by. But I don't think it means to run out and do whatever you want, not taking into account consequences of moment-by-moment living. This is not the concept behind the phrase "Carpe Diem."

I think it means that we are to look behind us, what's in our past, and to look forward, to where we'd like to go and achieve, and with those two pieces of path in our vision, we are to seize that exact moment, to "carpe diem" on that point on path... to be okay with the past and not apprehensive of the future, and to be confident in the passing moment... to let that moment be filled with abundant life.

Pablo Picasso was a big shot in this part of the world (Mougins, Southern France). I saw some photos of him recently that were taken when he was working and painting. Usually with his shirt off. Always with a cigarette in his mouth. He seems like a normal, down-to-earth man. Approachable. I like this guy.

Aside from his obvious "realness", I like the way his art morphs from "safe and mandatory" to a style totally his own over the course of his career. He put in his time with the still life paintings (flowers, fruit) like many other artists. This was a foundation for learning the techniques of painting- colors, strokes, light, etc. He did this for years. And then there's the stuff he was doing towards the end of his career: crazy and eclectic and unmatched by any other painter. Beautiful.

Painting those flowers and fruit (boring?) gave him a foundation for which he could then place a trampoline and jump into his own painting style.

I feel like I'm at a point in my music where I've put in my time with the fruit and flowers and I'm making plans for a trampoline installation. :-) Carpe diem. Thank God for the path behind me, for the unknown in front of me, for my goals and hopes, and for this very moment.

Harpe Diem (haha)

No comments: